Monday, January 25, 2010

Back to the Doctor

Last night was very trying for us. Jewell woke at 2:00 AM. She didn't seem hungry so I just let her calm herself in her crib. By 2:30 AM she seemed to be mostly settled. Then the crying really started. By 2:50 AM I went and picked her up. She just wanted to look around. So I put her pacifier in her mouth and put her back down. Which is when the pacifier battle began. To make a long story short, I ended up feeding her 4 ounces at 4:00 AM. By the time my alarm went off at 5:30 AM I was convinced I'd never sleep again.

Today at daycare Jewell hardly ate anything. Her caregivers recommended that I take her back to the doctor because she was short of breath and still not eating well. Fortunately, the doctor got me in right away. Dr. Pool said the Jewell now has an ear infection that's much worse. The antibiotic she was on did not work. So we are now on a different antibiotic that she really doesn't like. I'm to use a humidifier for the congestion, saline drops, and Tylenol for pain. My poor baby! She's so sick and so little.

On the happy side of things, Jewell has made a few great discoveries today. The first one is...her tongue. She's figured out that she can stick it out. She just leaves it out of her mouth, plays with it, or tries to smile. It's so funny! The best one...she now tries to hold her bottle. She has been doing this with one hand for quite a few days now. But this afternoon she held it with both hands. I let go for a few seconds today even. I was so excited about this discovery of hers, yet a bit sad. I guess you could say it was bittersweet. Happy because she's learning new things, but sad that she's beginning to become a bit more independent each day. Either way, I'm proud of her!

That said, I will continue to pray for my little one to get better quickly. She's too special to stay sick for so long.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the sweet comment on our blog. Glad to hear your little one is starting to feel better and now is eating more.

    ReplyDelete