Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Year of Transitions and The New Year

I think the title of this post pretty much sums up this year. And boy was it a year! The year started with us being blessed with our second child Jefferson! 3 weeks later, we moved from the east coast to the west coast! This year was FULL of its challenges, like having 2 children that couldn't walk for 4 months, literally.

But this year as been full of blessings as well. We were able to follow our dream by moving out West for a great job that is ministry related. I had prayed for a few years that my husband would be able to find a job that fit that desire. I knew he missed his computer work, but didn't want to give up all video. He also wanted it to involve churches. How perfect! The Lord opened the right door in HIS time. And of course, the birth of our son! But there are other blessings. I've built some good friendships here. I don't know what I'd do without the women in my Home Group or church. When we first came here, I didn't have a car. We had to sell them in Greenville. After visiting our church twice a lady who is now a very close friend of mine offered to pick me up to take me and my children to Bible Study. And she didn't just take us to Bible Study for weeks, she took us places just for fun! I think I would have gone crazy without her. A few months later, we were able to purchase a car that fit our family well :). But if it wasn't for that friend (Cindy), I probably would have given up and BEGGED to go back to Greenville.

And then later...well, although our house did not sell, we were able to find a wonderful Property Manager to manage our home completely and find a tenant for 1 year. So although it wasn't what we had planned, God still provided.

I guess the biggest lesson I have learned this year, is to trust God. So many things happened that weren't in MY plans, but God still worked it out for the good. I wish I could say that I've learned that it means to trust in God completely, but I know I haven't :).

Last year, I didn't make any New Years Resolutions really. I just wanted to survive moving across the country with a 17 month old that couldn't walk, and a 3 week old. But this year I do have a few goals.

1) Wake up earlier. I need that time to myself! And I need some time to read my Bible. Once I start my day, I have too many distractions!

2) Read the Bible through this year. Matt and I are doing this together :).

3) Work harder to get more done while the kids are awake. I often find myself doing all my household cleaning during my 1.5 to 2 hour break. That leads to one exhausted Mommy!

4) Read more. Now that I'm not teaching, I sort of feel dumb. When I was a teacher, I was constantly educating myself so I could be a better teacher. Now, I feel like I only read when I need help with something. So, I plan to read a lot more! I have a ton of books on my list already!

5) Go to bed earlier. I love to go to bed early. But it's a bit difficult when you're married to a night owl :).

So, those are my goals. I plan to take it one step at a time.

Well, there you have it! What a year of transitions. What was your year like? Are you making resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment