Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rainy Day Learning and Fun

It's raining. It's raining a lot today actually! And it's pretty much going to keep raining. That's okay though. We NEED the rain :). And this just means the mountains will have a lot of snow! Which basically makes the rain beautiful.

As most of you know I've been looking for some good craft ideas that are AFFORDABLE for when we can't play outside. I try to make the time I have with Jewell while Jeffers is napping a fun time for her. Yesterday, I had to run to Target. I always check out the dollar section because they seem to have some little craft things we can do for just a dollar. I was excited to find the rubber stickers for windows for a dollar (I didn't want to have to run to the dollar store). Jewell loves stickers, but still has issues with touching certain textures. So I thought we could decorate the windows together and work on texture issues at the same time. I have all sorts of little exercises and practice things I have to do with her each week and I try to make it fun as much as possible. Jewell just LOVES the stickers. She named each object (including the robots). She took it very seriously too. Surprisingly, the texture didn't bother her. Success!





I also found a few growing kits in the dollar section. There was a strawberry kit and a small flower one. I was excited about this because we've been talking about seeds on our walk. Jewell is fascinated with the little helicopters on the ground outside. The little kit comes with a small thing of dried dirt, a small flower pot, and seeds. You put the dirt in some water and you watch it grow while the dirt absorbs the water. Jewell loved this! She kept saying absorb and grow! She then helped me put the seeds on top (while counting them herself). I was impressed. I tried taking pictures, but it was sort of messy and I was focused more on helping Jewell understand what was happening. The plants are now waiting for the sun to come out to help them grow. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment