Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Grand Journey

Wow, it's been a month! I can't believe it. In fact, the pictures I'm posting today are from February 24th :). We went out on a bit of an adventure because we got bored.

Let me begin by explaining the plane trip. We left Charlotte, NC around 11:00 EST. I held Jefferson on my lap, and Matt held Jewell on his. We then flew to Atlanta for a 3 hour layover. That was definitely a crazy layover. We did meet another little girl that enjoyed playing with Jewell, but they were all over the place.

Once we finally boarded we figured out we'd have to be separated by the aisle this time. Oh well. I sat by some nice ladies that loved Jefferson. This was a 6 hour flight and Jewell was exhausted. She had to sit on Matt's lap. Fortunately, we had some Benedryl. We gave her just a bit and she dosed for about 2 hours. She then ate tons of snacks and watched the DVD player. She only got fussy at the end. Praise the Lord!

After the 6 hour flight we were delayed in Portland. I then realized I hadn't eaten in a very long time and I got pretty sick. I could barely walk actually. We got food, but I was still sick. We finally took off from Portland and we landed in Medford at 10:30 PST. Now, my daughter typically sleeps for 12 hours. She was definitely exhausted! Oh, on a side note. They only offered beer and wine to drink on that flight. Welcome to wine country!

We had a taxi take us to our little motel. I immediately fell on the bed. I was sick and exhausted. Jewell had to sleep on the floor that night on a little bed we made her. I figured she'd sleep late. I was wrong, very wrong. She slept until a whopping 5 AM! We went to bed at midnight which was 3 AM EST. I about died. Oh well.

The next day we got our rental car and picked up some things to borrow from Matt's boss. He let us borrow their pack and play and many toys. It was such a blessing. We had to stay in the motel for 8 days. Jewell ended up sleeping in the bathroom :). Fortunately, once Matt started work that Monday I was able to go to his bosses house and let Jewell play with his little girl. I was only stranded in the motel for a few days.

That brings us to our first adventure :). I will talk more about our living arrangements later. For our first adventure. We headed out to Grants Pass to do some exploring, and then went into Ashland (where Matt actually works). Most of these pictures were taken from in the car so please forgive the quality. Grants Pass is about 30 minutes North of us and Ashland is about 20 minutes South.

Here is a picture of our little motel.

On the way to Grants Pass.

Driving up a mountain in Grants Pass (Matt was so excited).

Exhausted Jewell didn't seem to care for the great views!

Off to Ashland! We were driving around in some of the neighborhoods and we saw these deer crossing the road! I had never been so close to deer before.

Here is a snap shot of Ashland. It's not the best picture...I'll be sure to post better in the future.

That night we put Jewell to bed in the pack and play in the bathroom at 7. She slept past 7! We both fell asleep at 8:30. That was Jefferson's best night. He slept in a drawer :). Don't worry, I kept it open!

I hope you enjoyed reading about our journey and first adventure. Next up? Our trip to the coast (pre-tsunami)


  1. Ha! I almost put Brendon to sleep in the bathroom during a trip. But the drawer made me laugh :D We're going to Greenville this weekend, Mark's brother is coming home from Afghanistan for a few weeks, so we're going to see him. And? We're having another baby! Due end of October, you have to tell me any tricks for dealing with two :D
    *love love*

  2. Great post! Thanks for sharing. It looks lovely out there. Sonia